Tuesday, January 6, 2015

We've Arrived!!!

We met up at the airport at 7:45 to leave plenty of time to get through customs and check luggage. I fit everything in a carry-on, but Jane convinced me to check it anyway.  It was great just lugging about my laptop bag though.  Thanks, Jane.

We flew Virgin air, and were all REALLY impressed with the flight attendants outfits although we were a concerned about the heels (we are happy to report that they wear flats when on the plane). Literally, they showed up walking through the airport like they were doing a fashion show.  I thought they brought their own wind machines or something.  Everyone in our group stopped to stare (and not just because we thought it was a sign that we were actually going to start boarding) because they looked so fabulous.  I only have a picture of the design for the women, but the men looked equally fabulous with burgundy three-piece suits and great grey wool top coats. They all looked like they stepped out of a 40's movie.
Basically, all we did today (well last night into today with the two-hour delay) was fly, get picked up by our bus to take us to our lodgings in Russell Square.
The flight itself was fine-despite the initial disco/nightclub lighting thing going on--there are loads of movies and shows from which to choose and lots of free goodies. I actually wish the flight was longer, so I could watch more movies and sleep.  I did not get to finish The Break Up Guru, which is probably a good thing because it was so bad, but I did watch enough to want to find out how it turns out.  Anyone watch that movie? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcYYtVdFAb8. (note: I watched the rest of it on the flight back and several other movies to keep myself awake, so I could adjust better to the time difference)

But what I really want to talk about are our accommodations.  Jane and I are sharing a two-room flat, and we have decided that we never want to leave. We are staying with Acorn, which apparently houses many university students studying abroad.  we were really lucky to get these because usually they only have long-term leases but because we are here in January . . . Anyway, here is my room:
Here is Jane's room:
Here is the kitchen
And here is the adorable--big enough to seat six--dining area on the other side of the kitchen. 


We are on Byng Place, which is right across the street from the University of London and right around the corner from University College London.  There is a book store across the street and we only have to walk two blocks to get to a pub, a coffee shop, and a delicious bakery.  We are really never going to leave London. 

I like it so much that I am seriously tempted not to go see some of the things that we came to London to see but instead stay in this flat and eat desserts like this:






5 comments:

  1. oh, cool! Yes, stay, and come visit me often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much does it generally cost to fly from London to where you live? How close could I get? Would I need to take a train as well? (Already trying to budget another trip to England)

      Delete
    2. It costs very little - approx. $150 and there are many direct flights from London to Zurich. It's best to fly from London City Airport. Once you're at the Zurich Airport, you'd have to take a train for 10minutes to get to the main station. Or if you came to my place directly, you could take a tram from the airport. That costs about $5.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnne, for your help this morning concerning the blog. I think I have the comment thing figured out.

      Delete